Here are my sermon notes from this past Sunday. I hope it causes you to thimk!
• Today as we are gathered, churches all over the nation are focused on children.
• This is Sanctity of Life Sunday.
• It is a day when we express our opposition to the world’s view.
• We believe that children are created in the image of their maker from the moment of conception.
• Abortion is rampant and those who dare to stand against this horrible practice are hated.
• Our nation grants women the freedom of choice, but few think that the innocent life within her has no choice.
• This morning I declare to you that God loves children.
• He died on the cross for them just as he did for you and me.
• He loves them and cares for them.
• My title this morning is, “God’s Heart for Children”
• I want us to look at how God views children.
II. He Plans:
• Jere. 1:5 “I knew you before I formed you in your mother’s womb. Before you were born I set you apart and appointed you as my prophet to the nations.”
III. He Parents:
• Psalm 68:5-6 “Father to the fatherless, defender of widows— this is God, whose dwelling is holy.6 God places the lonely in families; he sets the prisoners free and gives them joy.”
IV. He Provides:
• Deut. 24:19 “When you are harvesting your crops and forget to bring in a bundle of grain from your field, don’t go back to get it. Leave it for the foreigners, orphans, and widows. Then the LORD your God will bless you in all you do.”
V. He Protects:
• Deut. 10:18 “He ensures that orphans and widows receive justice. He shows love to the foreigners living among you and gives them food and clothing.”
VI. He Pursues:
• Eph. 1:3-5 “All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly realms because we are united with Christ. 4 Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault in his eyes. 5 God decided in advance to adopt us into his own family by bringing us to himself through Jesus Christ. This is what he wanted to do, and it gave him great pleasure.”
• Our God plans, parents, provides, protects, and pursues children.
• Why, because He loves His children.
• He loves them with an unending love.
• He cries with the child in Africa who has no food.
• He hurts with the child that hides in the dark because he is afraid of being hit again.
• He hears the prayers of the orphan begging Him for a family.
• He sees the innocent child that had no chance at life because of a mother’s choice.
• He bears their burdens.
• He heals their hearts.
• He comforts them in times of distress.
• God does not stop there.
• He calls us to do the same.
• James 1:27 “Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you”
• Listen to the Father’s heart this morning.
• It is a heart filled with love and compassion.
• Children around the world are hurting.
• Gov. Mike Huckabee describes being pro-life as not only defending the unborn, but improving life after birth for all children.
• Along these line the Assemblies of God Foreign Missions Dept. has proclaimed 2011 the Year of the Child with the theme, no child without.
• God has called us to a greater purpose than ourselves.
• To this call we rise, to this call we answer, “God I will defend them!”
• Prayer for God to:
o Forgive us of our sins against children.
o Raise up workers for children around the world.
o Give us a heart of compassion and love for kids.
o Use us to touch their lives.