Our Family

Our Family

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Know and Do

Ephesians 5:17 "Don't act thoughtlessly, but understand what the Lord wants you to do."
I have read this verse many many times over the years, but today it really jumped out at me. This is great advice from the apostle Paul; however, it is not easily accomplished. We go through seasons in our lives where, as the word says, our prayers feel as if they are hitting a clanging ceiling and falling back to us. At other times we know quickly what we are to do. The variation of these times in our lives teach us much about the character of our God, about our faith, and about what God wants us to learn.

The Word also says, that sheep should know the voice of their God. What do we do in the times that we are praying and waiting but all we hear in return is silence? What do we do when this is an extended time? The simple answer, but hard action, is to wait. Wait on the right time, wait on His voice, wait to see if our situation changes or a way is made clear.

In those rare times that we hear God speak quickly, we need to jump to obedience and act. There are a few times in my life I knew quickly what I was to do and never really questioned it. One was my calling into ministry and along with it the school I was to attend. Second, was marrying my wife. Third, was our adoption. Fourth, was my returning to school. There have been other more minor things. These times are great, to hear God's voice and do it. There is no greater pleasure.

If you are in a season of silence. Remember that your confidence and your faith is in an eternal and loving God. Remember the words to the old hymn, which is also taken from scripture; "For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I've committed unto Him against that day."

Take heart seasons of silence often develop into seasons of great joy. Seek to know God's will and do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment