Our Family

Our Family

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Wisdom in Silence

This week mom and I are reviewing a file for a possible child. What a tough decision. Is this the child we have been waiting for? Are there issues that we can or cannot handle? What about feeling guilty if you have to say no? These are the emotions of the adoption journey. You have to be honest with yourself. You can't make a decision that will have eternal consequences based on guilt or excitement. You need to hear from God....but what if He is silent? What then? Is God's silence a yes or a no? What does it mean?

This morning as I continue to contemplate and pray, seek counsel from doctors and other adoptive families, God shows up. Not in a "yes this is what you should do" or "this is not the child I have for you", but in a word...Wisdom. As I think through this I find myself asking a question. "What is the purpose of wisdom?" If God is always saying yes or no to every question we ask, why do I need wisdom?

Perhaps our wisdom is to help us when God is silent. Maybe this is His way of helping us through when there is no clear answer. We sit down and think it through. We use the wisdom that God has given us. Our wisdom allows God to speak to us in a different way. Not the trumpet blast, "yes do this", but in our ability to navigate and make wise choices.

So this morning, though I do not have an absolute answer, I am confident in the wisdom that my God has given mom and I. In the end this wisdom will lead us to the right choice, to the right child.

God thank you for your wonderful wisdom. James 1:5 says, "If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and He will give it to  you." NLT

In this and so many situations God speaks in different and unusual ways. Perhaps there is wisdom in silence.

Love,
Daddy

No comments:

Post a Comment