Our Family

Our Family

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

His Throne of Grace

My evening devotional time this year will be spent in Hebrews. There is so much insight in this short book. It is like the entire Bible written in 13 chapters. I love it. If you can have a favorite book of the Bible this would at least be my New Testament pick. As I was reading last night this verse jumped out at me. I have read and heard it many times, but it is still encouraging to read it again.

Heb. 4:16 "So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most."

Grace and mercy are two things that we are always in need of. As humans, we live like Paul when he says, I do what I should not and I don't do what I should. Can I hear an amen. Life is tough. Circumstances drag us down. This is why the writer of Hebrews reminds us to meet at a body often and even more often as we see the day of Christ's return drawing near. In these trying times, we need to immerse ourselves in His Word and prayer, meet with fellow believers for encouragement and love, and be willing to boldly approach our God.

Most of us miss that little word "boldly". Our minds tells us that we are not worthy. So if we approach we do it timidly. "Your right mind, I am not worthy. If I was I would not need Christ." Tell yourself this and move on. Go into His presence expecting to receive. I do not approach Him as I did my parents when I was at home; asking for money but expecting a "we'll see". And don't we all know that is code for "NO". I know it is, that's why I use it with my kids...keeping the tradition alive as it were. 

With God it should not be like this. I come to Him boldly, not out of disrespect or an attitude that I am owed, but knowing that my God is big enough to answer my need. So if you need grace today, I do, or if you need mercy today, I do, run to His throne. The one who set the world into motion desires your request. What's more He is willing to meet it.

I have tired to make this a practice; to boldly ask God to move in our adoption process. I don't come to Him each day asking for Him to answer sometime in the next six months; rather, I come each day asking Him to move on our behalf today. One day, when His timing is right, He will.

No comments:

Post a Comment